Saturday, December 29, 2012

50 books...

 

Earlier in the year I came across a great idea, albeit it was not a new idea but it was a great one..  A list.. I know it is pretty simple when you start out but it became really difficult as I really looked at it.  It is a list of 50 things I would like to do in my life, I did not put a date on it, I did not call it a bucket list but just a list of items I wish to see, do or accomplish within in my life. This list became really hard to complete, I am talking about the actual list I think I made it to 36 items, because I was being serious, I wanted to see things that I truly wanted to do on there not just dreamy things that I would not put the effort into.  
So aside from all of that one of the items was to ready 50 books in a years time, I am a lover of books and own piles and piles of them, a lot I have read but quite a few are just waiting for their moment.  Well, I decided it would be a great thing to start right about now.  I thought it would be a great thing to share also and I was hoping you could help me out with some recommendations on great reads?!  I would love it if you would join me too- it is always fun to share a great book with friends.
What do you think - any interest?

My first on the list is Les Miserables, I would love to know if you have read it and what you think.

Looking forward to a wonderful new year full of new adventures with you here on the blog as well!

Photobucket 
Pin It!

9 comments:

Splenderosa said...

Christina, what a great idea! I love books too and cannot imagine a home without piles of them, even if we just look at the beautiful photos of coffee table travel books. I purchase books whenever I travel, it helps me to remember the wonderful moments. Yes, I've read Les Mes, and I will be happy to share some of the titles I actually cherish. "Atonement" would be the first.

Tricia Rose said...

I did read Les Miserables and sadly, I found it dated.

My all-time great books are A Fine Balance, by Robinton Mistry. I nearly gave up on it and I'm so glad I didn't.

A Time of Gifts and Between the Woods and the Water, both by Patrick Leigh Fermor - I'm now on my third reading.

Tirra Lirra by the River by Jessica Anderson - at the end of it I almost felt I could make sense of life.

The Hounds of the Morrigan by Pat O'Shea. This is really a children's book, but the language is so beautiful, it is the perfect escapist reading.

I do hope you enjoy at least some of them!

Kristie Franklin said...

I've read Les Miserables twice...the regular and the unabridged versions. I loved this book and could easily read it again.

Currently, I am into reading a series of novels written by Anne Perry, a mystery writer. She is the author of The Charlotte and Thomas Pitt novels and a series set of William Monk novels. Both of which are great reads.

Karen Albert said...

Christina I can tell you that I just saw the Opening Day of Les Miserables in the theater and I think you will love it

Books are just so personal..let me think about a list for you!

All the best in 2013
xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

helen tilston said...

Hello Christina, A wonderful concept. I love your idea of 50 things to do and I shall work on that.

I have seen Les Miserables and probably one of the few who did not rave about it, so I shall pass on the book.

I love Rohinton Mistry (like Tricia Rose above) Such a Long Journey is brilliant. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. Ghost Light by Joseph O'Connor

I have a stack of books to read.My current reading is Watt by Samual Beckett.

Happy New Year and may all your dreams come true

Helen xx

I

Mirjam said...

That's a great idea, love it! Same here, lots of books on shelves, but... I tried to read Les Mis, couldn't get through though. My all time favorites are the Book Thief by Marcus Zusak and The Time Traveller's wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

I hope you'll enjoy your 'book travels'!

All the best, Mirjam

Acquired Objects said...

What a great idea Christina in sharing books since I'm always looking for a great read. I'm reading "A Dog's Purpose" by W.Bruce Cameron. It's a novel for humans...;)

I wish you and your family a Happy and Healthy New Year!

XXX
Debra~

Beth25 said...

The summer I was 11 my mother, my sister and myself read Les Miserables aloud. We loved it, we shared a love for good books. You need to read this in its historical context. Victor Hugo is like Dickens, they take time.
My list includes: A book by Tolstoy, Dickens, and Edith Warton--House of Mirth, Henry James-Portrait of a Lady, A.S. Byatt Possession and/or The Children's Tale,
Virginia Woofe--To the Lighthouse or Mrs. Dalloway. I am reading The Hunchback of Nortre Dame and a Balzac novel
in Jan, but haven't picked the novel. I love big books and can't wait to hear how you do.

Shell said...

I insisted that our Book Club read Les Miserables and my brain nearly burst with the effort!
I LOVE Salley Vickers, though ...and fairy tales.